The Granola Game-Changer
With taste, time and cost all a priority during this season of parenthood, I've been experimenting with my own ways of being in the kitchen.
I wanted to formulate a brekky recipe or a method to follow, that suits YOU.
Your own taste & family nutritional needs.
Whether that be gluten free, dairy free, grain free, refined sugar free, nut free, caffeine free.. and all the other great marketing terminology out there.
Let's create YOUR weekly cereal based around your needs.
Granola vs Muesli. While both usually contain grains, nuts, seeds and dried fruits, the main difference is Granola is usually toasted or baked and muesli unbaked. Most supermarket granola is found with all kinds of foreign oils, sugars and sweetener to bind the ingredients together. I was often left disappointed with the lack of nuts or seeds in pre-made packs and found myself always adding in my own to make a well balanced meal, think healthy fats and protein.
Lets jump straight in!
Repeat this 3 times.
4:1 Ratio. 4:1. 4:1. One more time 4 to 1.
That’s it. Take a mental note. That’s your recipe for mind blowing granola goodness!
Lets deconstruct 4 & 1.
4 C of dry ingredients : 1 C of wet ingredients (C=cups)
I've made this recipe time and time again using this exact method and you can't really go wrong unless you burn it in the oven, which I have done.. a few times. But it's still not bad.
Add 4C of dry ingredients & choice of spices or flavourings. Combine 1C of wet ingredients in pot over low heat. Mix together, bake @ 180 for 20mins on lge bake tray.
10 mins prep
20 mins bake
30 mins total.
What you need:
Dry ingredients: a large mixing bowl, a measuring cup + mixing spoon.
Wet ingredients: small saucepan, re-used measuring cup from above & 1 tablespoon.
For baking: non-stick large baking tray or a large dish lined with baking paper.
Ingredients: To serve 2-4.
4 C total - Grains - Rolled oats, puffed brown rice, spelt flour (2 TB for clusters).
Seeds - Puffed buckwheat, puffed quinoa, puffed amaranth, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, white or black sesame seeds, chia seeds, flax/linseeds.
Shredded Coconut or flakes, almonds, hazelnuts, cashews, brazil nuts, walnuts, macadamia nuts, pecans.
1 C total - 1/3c Coconut oil + 1/3c rice malt syrup or maple syrup + 1/3c tahini or any nut butters (peanut, almond, ABC spread etc).
Pinch of Spice/Flavour - cinnamon, turmeric, nutmeg, cardamon, ginger powder, sea salt, black salt, carob powder, cacao powder or even your essential oils.
Extras - hemp seeds, linseed, cacao nibs. Any dried fruit; think sultanas, mango, apple, figs, apricots, blueberries, inca berries, pineapple, cranberries, mulberries, raisins.
0. Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees and set aside your baking tray.
1. Place 4 cups of dry ingredients in ANY ratio into your mixing bowl. Example 2 C puffed rice, 1/2C buckwheat kernels, 1/2C mixed nuts, 1/3 pumpkin seeds, 1/3 shredded coconut, 1/3 sesame seeds.
2. OPTIONAL: Spices or flavouring. Here you can add in any spice mix or flavouring to your dry ingredients. Example a good sprinkle of cinnamon, cardamon, turmeric, ginger powder & 3-4 cracks of salt or simply; cinnamon & salt.
3. In your pot, place 1 cup of wet ingredients. Stir together on low heat for only a few minutes and take off heat. Example 1/3 coconut oil, 1/3 Rice Malt Syrup, 1/3 tahini (or roughly 3-4 Tbsp of each).
4. Pour your wet ingredients into the dry and give it a good mix.
5. Spread evenly over baking dish and place in oven. Set timer for 20mins.
**DO NOT FORGET THE TIMER, you don't want this to burn.
6. Let it cool. Add in any 'extras' of your choice. Example 1/2C hemp seeds + 1/2C goji berries
7. Pour into your favourite air tight jar. Store up to 2 weeks.
VA-LA! Homemade Muesli made by YOU, for YOU!
I would LOVE for you to tag me on Instagram at @themindbodymama if you create your own Granola goodness using my 4 to 1 method. Lets inspire to keep it simple and you take charge of what your mind-body needs!